Located within the University of Michigan’s North Campus Research Complex (NCRC), our physical space houses the Institute’s administrative staff as well as approximately 150 faculty and research staff in nearly 88,000 square feet of space. Included are both formal and informal offices and rooms for small and large groups of researchers and organizations. For those members whose main research offices are distributed across the U-M’s Ann Arbor, Flint and Dearborn campuses, the Institute provides access to a large variety of open and common touchdown spaces.
Dedicated Space at NCRC
IHPI adheres to University of Michigan guidelines and coordinates with the member’s home school/college and department in assigning dedicated research space. The following principles align with those issued by the Office of the Provost and by the Medical School.
- Space assignments are limited to IHPI faculty members and their research staff.
- Faculty have first priority for offices consistent with academic rank and research commitment.
- Staff are not routinely assigned to offices, but may be assigned an interior office or share an office based upon availability.
- Fellows/students/temps with less than full-time roles are not assigned permanent space and should use available touchdown space.
- Duplicate offices are strongly discouraged.
- Space assignments are not permanent. Space is assigned to activities, not individuals, and can be reassigned as activities change. Vacated or unused space will revert back to IHPI.
- The member’s home department is responsible for coordinating with NCRC Administration for move planning including computer and phone set up.
- IHPI encourages communities of researchers (per floor or other) to discuss and problem solve space issues locally whenever possible.
Requesting Space within the IHPI Footprint
Members requesting assigned space must complete the Medical School Space Request Form.
- For questions regarding space, please contact Stephanie Jared.
- For questions regarding the request form, please contact MSFSpacePlanning@umich.edu.
Please note that occupancy rates are at full or near full capacity and assigned space is in high demand.
The completed Space Request will be received by the Medical School Facilities Planning and Analysis team. You will receive an automated message within 24-48 hours once the request has been received. A monthly space meeting will be held between IHPI leadership and the Medical School Facilities planning team to discuss active space requests. Dr. Ayanian will continue to have decision making authority regarding space assignments. If it has been more than 4-6 weeks since your team has completed a Space Request with no response, please contact MSFSpacePlanning@umich.edu.
Member Common Spaces
Because the majority of IHPI members maintain primary offices elsewhere on campus, the Institute has paid special attention to create a variety of collaboration and touchdown work spaces to be used on a requested or drop-in basis. These collaboration areas are not locally “owned” by their floor or research community and are available to all visitors.
The Collaboratory is an open space furnished with movable tables that can be arranged to accommodate small to medium size work groups, with a full whiteboard wall for capturing ideas and sharing information. To reserve this room for larger groups and/or for extended periods of time, please email Stephanie Jared. It is located on the ground floor of NCRC Building 10, Room G079
The Think Tank
The Think Tank, located on the ground floor of NCRC Building 10, Room A043, offers members a quiet contemplative space for work and collaboration. Furnished with comfortable seating, white board walls for capturing thoughts or sharing ideas, and a small hoteling room, the Think Tank is ideal for individual or small group collaborations for short periods of time.
In addition to the Collaboratory and the Think Tank, IHPI members are welcome to use hoteling rooms that offer members visiting IHPI a short-term private workspace for individual work or small meetings of four or less. These rooms are open to all IHPI members and are located at:
• Building 14: G104 and G106 on the ground floor
• Building 16 : G007E on the ground floor
Touchdown and Collaboration Spaces
Members may also be interested in using open touchdown spaces located on floors G, 1, 2 and 4 of NCRC Building 16 and within the IHPI Scholars suite G100 in NCRC Building 14.
Conference and Lactation Rooms
The NCRC campus offers a number of conference room and facilities, which can be reserved via ScheduleOn, and lactation rooms, along with other amenities. Learn more here.
NCRC partners with multiple University IT units to provide IT infrastructure and services, including network and phone services, high-performance computing and other specialized research infrastructure, collaboration/communications services and end-user support. NCRC partners include Information Technology Services (ITS), Office of Enabling Technologies (ETO), Health Information Technology & Services (HITS), and Learning Resource Center (LRC).
Desktop / end-user support is provided through Health Information Technology & Services (HITS). Support is available 7 a.m. - 7 p.m., Monday-Friday. To request support, call the HITS Help Desk at 734-936-8000.