Rapidly informing policy in the time of COVID-19
IHPI is pleased to offer a special Policy Sprint open call for proposals, made possible with generous donor support. IHPI members can apply to receive funding for a timely research project related to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Policy Sprint proposals should address gaps in knowledge around the following areas, among others: health care delivery, quality and safety; health system resource utilization; public health capacity and response; insurance coverage and costs; health care workforce issues; health equity and ethics; economics and supply chain issues.
Proposals due by June 1, 2020.
FOR MEMBERS: COVID-19 Data Resources
IHPI is supporting pandemic-related efforts by leveraging our strengths in pooling together data resources to help research and public engagement. A Google sheet was created for IHPI members as a compilation of available data sources on COVID-19 around the university.
Click here for more information (Requires U-M Level-1 login).
FOR RESEARCHERS: COVID-19 Funding Opportunities
The Office of the Vice President for Research has identified various funding opportunities to support researchers as they address the COVID-19 pandemic. Please refer back to this webpage for additional updates on funding opportunities related to COVID-19.
Additionally, the COVID-19 Research Index is available to index coronavirus projects and learn more about other collaborations.
COVID-19 Registries, Modeling, & Clinical Resources
From conducting studies and collecting data to developing best practices as they face the crisis on the frontline, IHPI researchers and clinicians are playing a critical role in responding to the COVID-19 pandemic. This continuously-updated list provides an overview of COVID-related research projects and clinical resources developed by IHPI members and partnering organizations.
EXPERTS IN THE NEWS
- India coronavirus: Trouble ahead for India's fight against infections - (Bhramar Mukherjee, BBC News, 5/28/20)
- Michigan nursing homes linked to 1 in 4 coronavirus deaths. Tally will grow. - (Marianne Udow-Phillips, BridgeMI, 5/27/20)
- This Swiss cheese analogy can help protect you from the coronavirus - (Ryan Malosh, WDIV TV Detroit, 5/27/20)
- The largest lockdown in the world is ending. India is bracing for what comes next. - (Bhramar Mukherjee, The Washington Post, 5/26/20)
- Michigan expands COVID-19 testing, launches dashboard - (Emily Martin, Channel 3 WWMT, 5/26/20)
- Nursing homes are ground zero for COVID-19 - (Sheria Robinson-Lane, U.S. News & World Report, 5/26/20)
- Gov. Gretchen Whitmer signs order expanding coronavirus testing - (Emily Martin, MLive, 5/26/20)
- Too little or too much time with the kids? Grandparenting is tough in a pandemic - (Preeti Malani, NPR, 5/25/20)
- More patients than beds in Mumbai as India faces surge in virus cases - (Bhramar Mukherjee, Reuters, 5/24/20)
- He was negative for the flu but positive he had COVID-19. How his case could help experts. - (Matthew Boulton, Detroit Free Press, 5/23/20)
- As sports begin reopening, athletes weigh the health risks - (Preeti Malani, The New York Times, 5/23/20)
- Telehealth: Knowledge gaps and opportunities for improvement after COVID-19 - (Chad Ellimoottil, AcademyHealth, 5/23/20)
Michigan Medicine and U-M School of Public Health experts, including IHPI member Dr. Emily Martin, discuss the trajectories of COVID-19 spread in Michigan and the role of data in guiding the reactivation of the state economy in a webinar posted on May 8, 2020.
HELPFUL RESOURCES, TOOLS AND VIDEOS
- Michigan Medicine COVID-19 updates
- University of Michigan community: Public Affairs COVID-19 page and YouTube video channel
- Michigan COVID-19 Modeling Dashboard: Expert modeling from School of Public Health and Medical School faculty
- Trails (Transforming Research into Action to Improve the Lives of Students) has a website with information and resources for supporting student and community mental health during COVID-19.
- U-M Poverty Solutions COVID-19 Pandemic Resource Guide
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)'s COVID-19 website
STATE OF MICHIGAN RESOURCES
- State of Michigan hotline: 888-535-6136 or visit michigan.gov/coronavirus
- Healthy Flint Research Coordinating Center - COVID-19 Webinars
STATE OF MICHIGAN QUALITY COLLABORATIVES
- Michigan Emergency Department Improvement Collaborative - Supporting the COVID-19 Response Across Michigan
Watch events featuring IHPI experts discussing the latest information on COVID-19 and pandemics.