2021-2022 Emerging Scholars Exchange Program applications have closed. Applications for the 2022-2023 program will open in fall 2022.
The University of Michigan Institute for Healthcare Policy & Innovation’s Emerging Scholars Exchange Program is designed to provide career development opportunities for IHPI early career faculty via invited presentations at prestigious peer universities. Through the Exchange Program, early career faculty have the opportunity to develop relationships with potential research collaborators, mentors, and sponsors; hone their oral presentation skills; and bolster their CVs as they prepare for promotion.
Two Emerging Scholars from IHPI are selected to give a presentation at one of our partner institutions:
- University of Pennsylvania Leonard Davis Institute
- University of California, San Francisco (UCSF) Philip R. Lee Institute for Health Policy Studies
In exchange, scholars from these universities will be selected to present at IHPI.
IHPI Early Career Members* who:
- Have been faculty members for at least three years
- Have a robust health services research portfolio to discuss, but have not yet submitted a promotion packet
- Have at least five first-authored research papers
- Are in the final years of building their CV for promotion and/or have acquired, but not completed, career development award.
Preference will be given to applicants who have not already had multiple invited speaking opportunities at other universities.
*Assistant Professor; Assistant Research Scientist; Clinical Assistant Professor; Clinical Instructor; Clinical Lecturer; Research Assistant Professor; Research Investigator.
Criteria for Selection
- Quality/robustness of health services research portfolio
- Novelty of proposed presentation ideas
- Fit between proposed work and hosting institutions
- Balance of disciplines across scholars
- Case for why this opportunity is important for their professional development
Applicants undergo a two-stage selection/matching process. First, an IHPI selection committee reviews all applications and selects four potential speakers. This list of potential speakers is then be sent to the partner institutions, which will rank the scholars in their order of preference for an invited lecture. From these rankings, IHPI matches two scholars with either the University of Pennsylvania or UCSF.