Why IHPI? A message from our Director
For the past 10 years, IHPI’s work has been driven by our sense of purpose, the “Why” that moves us to do what we do. Our mission—to improve the quality, safety, equity, and affordability of healthcare through innovative research that informs policy and practice—continues to serve as both our inspiration and our commitment. Each day, this pursuit fuels the abundant creativity, imagination, and vision of our collaborative community of researchers who have come together to address the most urgent issues facing health and healthcare today.
As our Institute has grown over the last decade, we have evolved to respond to emerging public health challenges, such as the COVID-19 pandemic and opioid epidemic, and to changes in our nation’s healthcare priorities that affect the way care is financed, organized, and delivered.
We have also kept our focus trained on perennial issues that continue to plague public health and healthcare—disparities in the social determinants of health; inequitable access to lifesaving care; high costs that burden patients, families, and society; avoidable risk and harm to patients stemming from gaps in safety and communication; and failing to provide our youngest, oldest, and most vulnerable with the care and services they need to thrive throughout their lives.
Solutions to these problems, both old and new, are sometimes evasive, and often complex. Yet this is why we remain steadfast in our pursuit of answers, and we are making steady progress on many fronts, by supporting collaboration and developing rigorous evidence with the potential to impact health and healthcare for the benefit of individuals, families, and communities across the country and around the world.
How are we doing this? By:
- Building on the University of Michigan’s legacy of health research excellence that is our foundation.
- Providing an environment that nurtures community and collaboration among those working to advance our understanding of healthcare and how to make it better.
- Leveraging the power of healthcare data resources.
- Supporting rigorous research that responds to policy-relevant questions.
- Strengthening partnerships to inform policy and practice impact.
- Focusing our work on healthcare equity and access.
- Bringing people together across boundaries to work, learn, lead, and problem-solve.
- Prioritizing education, training, and professional development opportunities for the next generation of health services researchers.
By developing, sharing, and implementing evidence and critical insights, we are shaping healthcare policy and practice for the better. Please read on to learn more about the IHPI story and what lies ahead.
John Z. Ayanian, M.D., M.P.P.
Director, University of Michigan Institute for Healthcare Policy and Innovation
Alice Hamilton Distinguished University Professor of Medicine