The Institute for Healthcare Policy and Innovation (IHPI) sponsors an R01 Boot Camp program in conjunction with the Medical School’s Mentored Research Academy: R01 Boot Camp. This is a 10-month multi-tiered mentoring program designed to help IHPI early career faculty develop and submit their first R01 proposal.
A cohort of 2 coaches and 8-10 faculty participate in all of the Medical School-sponsored seminars, as well as monthly 2-hour IHPI small group meetings that focus on proposal development.
The R01 Boot Camp features:
• Faculty coaches (senior faculty members) with established track records of external funding and a commitment to mentoring, who meet with and advise participating faculty.
• Large group events and workshops designed to provide participating faculty with the tools and knowledge needed to write a successful R01 application (e.g., proposal writing seminar, mock review).
• Self-directed interdisciplinary peer group activities of approximately 8-10 faculty members and 2 coaches. Participants share and review proposal sections, provide constructive feedback to one another, and address problems and needs of mutual interest.
• Internal Subject Matter Experts who provide counsel on research plans, development of Chalk Talks, and proposal drafts.
• External Subject Matter Experts who review final proposals.
Applications: The IHPI R01 Boot Camp is open to all early career faculty who are IHPI members and are ready to begin working on submitting their first R01 proposal, regardless of the school or college in which they are appointed. Applications are available on Competition Space from mid-August through mid-October. Please note that IHPI faculty with appointments in the Medical School may choose to apply to either the Medical School or IHPI Boot Camp.
Program: Applications will be reviewed and accepted by IHPI leadership. The program runs from January – October, and individuals accepted into the IHPI cohort will be expected to participate in all the group activities offered in the Medical School program as well as the monthly small group meetings with their IHPI coaches. If you are interested in learning more about the IHPI R01 Boot Camp, please contact Wendy Lombard, IHPI Grant Development Specialist.
Awarded Proposals: The following awards are R01 grants which were funded as a direct result of the mentorship provided by the IHPI sponsored R01 Boot Camp program.
- Laurie Buis – MI-BP: mHealth to Improve Blood Pressure Control in Hypertensive African Americans
- Amy Bohnert – Reducing Non-Medical Opioid Use: An automatically adaptive mHealth Intervention
- Julie Wright-Nunes - Improving Outcomes in Kidney Disease Using Systems-Driven Education and Coaching
- Jennifer Waljee - oPIOIDS: Prevention of Iatrogenic Opioid Dependence after Surgery
- Julia-Adler Milstein - Synergies and Sequencing in Delivery and Payment Reform: Understanding What Works