CLICK HERE TO REGISTER VIA GOOGLE FORM
After you have registered via Google Form, IHPI will notify you when Wolverine Access Registration is open for the one credit course.
The fall 2017 Understanding and Improving the U.S. Healthcare System Massive Open Online Course (MOOC) is designed to provide U-M students from a wide variety of backgrounds an asynchronous, engaging, practical, and interactive way to understand the U.S. healthcare system and gain insight about how they can improve the system. This 6 week course uses a mix of video-based lectures, online moderated discussion forums, and in-person group work to introduce learners to the main topics related to the historically complex U.S. healthcare system, including:
- The Main Players in Healthcare
- U.S. Presidents and the History of U.S. Healthcare Reform
- Private and Public Payers in the U.S. Healthcare System
- Designing Benefits in a Health Plan - CHAT® Simulation
- The future of the U.S. Healthcare System
The course draws on a diverse knowledge and expertise of the members of the Institute for Healthcare Policy and Innovation (IHPI), with over 38 members contributing to video lectures or leading in-person group discussions on the Choosing Healthplans All Together (CHAT®) exercise. With over 400 students participating in the course each year, students come from a wide variety of backgrounds, including undergraduate, graduate, medical, and dental students. Students can participate in the course as either an open learner or for 1 credit.
The fall 2017 program begins on Monday October 9, 2017 and runs through Friday, November 17, 2017. Students should expect minimal course work with approximately 3 to 4 hours of work each week. There is also a one-time, 90-minute in-person discussion seminar which will take place in November.
- Karen Farris, Ph.D., M.P.A. – Course Director
- Susan Goold, M.D., M.H.S.A., M.A. – Course Co-Director
- Trish Meyer, Ed.M. – IHPI Strategic Initiatives Manager
- Michael Rubyan, M.P.H. – Course Producer
- Jason Wolfe, M.A. – Course Manager
- Emma Steppe, M.P.H. – Course Co-Manager
MOOC originally developed by:
Matthew Davis, M.D., M.A.P.P.
Michael Rubyan, M.P.H.