The “Understanding and Improving the U.S. Healthcare System” Residential MOOC (Massive Open Online Course) is designed to provide U-M students from a variety of backgrounds with an engaging, practical, and interactive way to understand the U.S. healthcare system and gain insight about how they can improve it. This 6-week course uses a mix of video-based lectures, online moderated discussion forums, and one in-person group session to introduce learners to the main topics related to the historically complex U.S. healthcare system, including:
- The Main Players in Healthcare
- U.S. Presidents and the History of U.S. Healthcare Reform
- Private and Public Payers in the U.S. Healthcare System
- Designing Benefits in a Health Plan - CHAT® Simulation
- The future of the U.S. Healthcare System
The course draws on the diverse knowledge and expertise of the members of the Institute for Healthcare Policy and Innovation (IHPI), with over 38 members contributing to video lectures or leading in-person group discussions focusing on the Choosing Healthplans All Together (CHAT®) exercise. Over 500 students from a wide variety of backgrounds participate in the course each year including undergraduate, graduate, medical, pharmacy, nursing, and dental students. Students can participate in the course as either an “open learner” (not for credit), or for 1 credit. Students interested in taking the course for 1 credit must register for PUBHLTH 626 via Wolverine Access.
The fall 2018 program begins on Monday October 8, 2018 and runs through Friday, November 16, 2018. Students should expect minimal course work with approximately 2 hours of work each week. There is also a one-time, 90-minute in-person discussion seminar which will take place in November. Students will receive instructions on how to register for the discussion seminar closer to the beginning of the course.
- Karen Farris, Ph.D., M.P.A. - Course Director
- Susan Goold, M.D., M.H.S.A., M.A. - Course Co-Instructor
- Trish Meyer, Ed.M., IHPI Strategic Initiatives Manager
- Jason Wolfe, M.A. - Course Manager
- Emma Steppe, M.P.H. - Course Co-Manager
MOOC originally developed by:
Matthew Davis, M.D., M.A.P.P.
Michael Rubyan, M.P.H.