PUBHLTH 626 (1 CREDIT) REGISTER VIA WOLVERINE ACCESS:
Students registering for PUBHLTH 626 will be prompted to select a 90-minute in-person discussion seminar. This seminar will only meet once during the course.
The winter 2017 Understanding and Improving the U.S. Healthcare System Massive Open Online Course (MOOC) is designed to provide U-M students from a wide variety of backgrounds an asynchronous, engaging, practical, and interactive way to understand the U.S. healthcare system and gain insight about how they can improve the system. This 6 week course uses a mix of video-based lectures, online moderated discussion forums, and in-person group work to introduce learners to the main topics related to the historically complex U.S. healthcare system, including:
- The Main Players in Healthcare
- U.S. Presidents and the History of U.S. Healthcare Reform
- Private and Public Payers in the U.S. Healthcare System
- Designing Benefits in a Health Plan - CHAT® Simulation
- The future of the U.S. Healthcare System
The course draws on a diverse knowledge and expertise of the members of the Institute for Healthcare Policy and Innovation (IHPI), with over 38 members contributing to video lectures or leading in-person group discussions on the Choosing Healthplans All Together (CHAT®) exercise. With over 400 students participating in the course each year, students come from a wide variety of backgrounds, including undergraduate, graduate, medical, and dental students. Students can participate in the course as either an open learner or for 1 credit through SPH 626.
The winter 2017 program begins on Monday January 16, 2017 and runs through Friday, February 24, 2017. Students should expect minimal course work with approximately 3 to 4 hours of work each week. There is also a one-time, 90-minute in-person discussion seminar which will take place in mid-February.
- Susan Goold, M.D., M.H.S.A., M.A. – Faculty Lead
- Trish Meyer, Ed.M. - IHPI Strategic Initiatives Manager
- Michael Rubyan, M.P.H. - Course Producer
- Jason Wolfe, M.A. - IHPI Associate Project Manager – Course Manager
MOOC originally developed by:
Matthew Davis, M.D., M.A.P.P.
Michael Rubyan, M.P.H.