The Health Equity Summer Research Award is part of the IHPI Health Services Research Summer Fellowship/Internship program, which is designed to pair students and faculty from different academic units for an interdisciplinary research experience. Students applying to the Health Equity Summer Research Award will also be considered for funding through the regular IHPI/HSR Summer Student Fellowship and Internship program.
This award is made possible by the generous support of Marcy Welk, who holds a master's degree in social research from the University of Michigan.
Any master-level, doctoral, or medical student currently enrolled at the University of Michigan are eligible to apply. Students affiliated with the Institute for Social Research (ISR) are a priority to receive funding. Students who participated in the program previously are not eligible for the 2022 program.
Project Selection and Development Requirements
Students must identify a IHPI faculty member from a different school, college, or institute other than the student's degree-granting program. For example, a student from SPH cannot work with a IHPI member from SPH; they must partner with a IHPI member from a different U-M school/college (such as the Medical School or Social Work). The IHPI member and student will jointly agree on a research project, either from the list submitted by the IHPI member or of their own determination.
Due to COVID-19 and the uncertain impact on in-person projects this summer, all projects should be structured to ensure both student and faculty are following campus and medical school pandemic policies.
Application Process – Students Apply Here
(Use the search bar and type 2022 IHPI health equity and the application should be listed. Applications will be open for submission between February 1 and February 26)
- Step 1: The 2022 faculty summer project list is available for students to review between February 1 – February 25.
- Step 2: Students contact an IHPI member with whom they would like to work: either an IHPI member who has submitted a project or an IHPI member with whom they will develop a project together
- Step 3: Students and IHPI members mutually agree upon the research project for the Fellowship/Internship before submission of the student’s application. Students must have the IHPI member sign their personal statement portion of the application, indicating that they agree to the scope of the project.
- Step 4: Students submit the Fellowship/Internship application form by Friday, February 25, 2022, at 5:00 pm.
- Step 5: The IHPI Education & Training Workgroup will review applications and notify students by Friday, March 11, 2022.
Applications Must Include
- Student resume or CV
- A personal statement (500 – 1000 words) about the student’s interest in the program. The statement should connect their education, experience, interests, and career goals to the Health Equity Summer Research Award program, and explain the proposed project. Students should describe the project’s racial health disparities focus and relevance, how it relates to health services research or health policy, goals for the project, and the dates for the 10-week time-frame when the student will be working on the project. Students need to verify that they are able to work on their project remotely if need be
- Sign-off from the IHPI member confirming that the student and IHPI member mutually agree on the proposed project, indicated by the IHPI member’s electronic signature on the student’s personal statement
Criteria for Selection
Applications will be evaluated based on a demonstrated commitment to the field of health equity and racial health disparities, and a clear relationship between the proposed project and the student’s professional interests and career goals.