Please submit your application materials to the National Clinician Scholars Program Online Application. You will be asked to indicate which NCSP site(s) you are applying to, and the appropriate materials will then be sent by the NCSP central office to each program site. Each site will then review the candidates who applied to their program, and invite a subgroup of them for interviews.
Up to 30 Clinician Scholars will be selected. Participating institutions and their partners fund positions. Financial support is available at each university for expenses associated with scholars' tuition, research, and travel.
Eligibility and Selection Criteria
To be eligible for the National Clinician Scholars program, physicians and nurses must:
- Be committed to a career in serving as change agents to improve health whether it is academic medicine, public health, health policy or another career congruent with the program's purposes and priorities of developing physician and nurse leaders and skilled researchers.
- Be highly regarded by those responsible for their clinical training.
- Complete the clinical requirements allowing for independent clinical work by the date of entry into the program (except for surgeons).
- Be citizens or permanent residents of the United States or its territories at the time of application.
- Physicians who have completed residency training, and nurses with a doctoral degree, including a DNP (Doctor of Nursing Practice), are eligible to apply. The clinical training for physicians and the doctoral degree for nurses should have been completed within the past 5 years prior to the application process. For all applicants, relevant research experience is a particular strength in the application evaluation process. A 100% effort devoted to program activities is a program requirement. The National Clinician Scholars Program Directors and a designated national program committee will make all acceptance decisions.
Desirable attributes of applicants include:
- Demonstrated interest in improving health or the health care system.
- Exhibited leadership capabilities, including setting high personal goals and motivating others.
- Demonstrated ability to develop new ideas and to implement them.
- Ability to interact and communicate effectively with others.
- Record of consistent accomplishment of project activities.
- Previous research experience, published or unpublished.
- Interest in, and/or experience with, community organizations.
How to Apply
Nurses and physicians who meet the eligibility requirements may apply on line through the national program application website. If there are any questions, please contact the National Program at email@example.com or the IHPI CSP office at firstname.lastname@example.org. Program directors at each site will notify applicants who will be called in for interviews. After interviews are completed, applicants will rank the universities to which they applied and will have the opportunity to submit a revised personal statement. Program directors and the designated national program committee review all applicants and feedback from interviews and make final admission decisions.