When submitting your application, please enter “2023 Emerging Scholars Application” in the “Proposal Title” field.
- Academic Title
- Academic Department
- Year of faculty appointment
- Affirmation that applicant’s Department Chair supports this application
- Please list the month and year that you will plan to submit your promotion packet
- If selected as an emerging scholar, I agree to serve as a host for a future scholar visit
- Statement of interest (no more than 500 words) from the applicant describing why he/she wants to be an Emerging Scholar, and why this opportunity is important for his/her professional development
- IHPI engagement statement (no more than 500 words) from the applicant including examples of how they have previously engaged with the IHPI community, and how they plan to engage with IHPI moving forward
- 2-3 proposed presentation titles including a brief description of each
- List of no more than 10 faculty from each peer institution (Penn and UCSF) that the applicant would like to meet with during his/her visit if selected; including reasons why
Applicants will undergo a two-stage selection/matching process. First, an IHPI selection committee will review all applications and select 4 potential speakers. This list of potential speakers will then be sent to the partner institutions, which will rank the scholars in their order of preference for an invited lecture. From these rankings, IHPI will match two scholars with either the University of Pennsylvania or UCSF.
- IHPI early career faculty** who have been faculty members for at least three years
- Have a robust health services research portfolio to discuss, but have not yet submitted a promotion packet
- Have at least 5 first-authored research papers
**Assistant Professor; Assistant Research Scientist; Clinical Assistant Professor; Clinical Instructor; Clinical Lecturer; Research Assistant Professor; Research Investigator.
Preference will be given to applicants who have not already had multiple invited speaking opportunities at other universities.
Criteria for Selection
- Quality/robustness of health services research portfolio
- Novelty of proposed presentation ideas
- Case for why this opportunity is important for their professional development
- Fit between proposed work and hosting institutions
- Balance of disciplines across scholars
Selected speakers will be notified by November 30, 2023. All travel expenses will be covered by the hosting institutions; there will be NO honoraria provided for speakers.
Presentations will take place between February – May, 2024. We hope to offer the visits in-person, but there is a possibility that the presentations will take place virtually depending upon the prevailing public health guidelines.
Questions? Contact Jodie Moore: firstname.lastname@example.org
“It was a wonderful networking opportunity. Everyone I met seemed so eager to connect me to others and enhance the visibility of my work.”
- Michelle Moniz, M.D., M.Sc., 2019-2020 IHPI Emerging Scholar
“I had a great experience and honestly beyond wishing I could have gone to Philly in person (to get some delish food) I don't think I'd change anything. UPenn is a perfect venue to present and network at. I really appreciated this opportunity and am grateful to IHPI.”
- Geoffrey Hoffman, Ph.D., M.P.H., 2021-2022 IHPI Emerging Scholar