The Institute for Healthcare Policy and Innovation (IHPI) sponsors an R01 Boot Camp program in conjunction with the Medical School’s Mentored Research Academy: R01 Boot Camp. This 10-month program is a multi-tiered mentoring program designed to help early career faculty develop and submit their first R01 proposal.
The program consists of a cohort of 2 coaches and 8-10 mentees who participate in all of the Medical School-sponsored seminars and monthly 2-hour IHPI small group meetings that focus on the mentees’ proposal development.
The R01 Boot Camp features:
- Large group events and workshops designed to provide mentees with the tools and knowledge needed to write a successful R01 application (e.g., proposal writing seminar, mock review).
- Self-directed interdisciplinary peer group activities of approximately 8-10 faculty members (mentees) and 2 coaches (senior faculty members). Mentees share and review proposal sections, provide constructive feedback to one another, and address problems and needs of mutual interest.
- Faculty coaches with established track records of external funding and a commitment to mentoring, who meet with and advise their assigned mentee peer group.
- Internal Subject Matter Experts who provide counsel on mentees’ research plans, help them prepare and present a Chalk Talk, and review proposal drafts.
- External Subject Matter Experts who review mentees’ final proposals.
Applications: The IHPI R01 Boot Camp is open to all early career faculty who are IHPI members and are ready to begin working on submitting their first R01 proposal, regardless of the school or college in which they are appointed. Applications are available on Competition Space from mid-August through mid-October. Please note that IHPI junior faculty with appointments in the Medical School may choose to apply to either the Medical School or IHPI Boot Camp.
Program: Applications will be reviewed and accepted by IHPI leadership. The program runs from January – October, and individuals accepted into the IHPI cohort will be expected to participate in all the group activities offered in the Medical School program as well as the monthly small group meetings with their IHPI coaches. If you are interested in learning more about the IHPI R01 Boot Camp, please contact Wendy Lombard, IHPI Grant Development Specialist.