Datasets available to IHPI members and their research teams
(most links below require Level 1 login)
- OptumInsight data from 61 million privately insured individuals, including inpatient, outpatient, prescription, laboratory, geographic and socioeconomic details for patients from 2001-2014.
- Health Care Cost Institute data from ~50 million patients (2008-2015). Data is aggregated from Aetna, Humana, and UnitedHealthcare to create a comprehensive view of healthcare spending in the United States.
- Medicare data from 55 million enrollees, including enrollment data for all and inpatient/nursing facility data for more than 8 million, as well as Part D prescription-related data for a large sample across multiple years. Data include:
- American Hospital Association Annual Survey data, with 900 variables from a cross-sectional study of 6,500 U.S. hospitals.
- Healthcare Cost and Utilization Project State Inpatient Databases (SID) for 12 states spanning 10 consecutive years.
- Healthcare Cost and Utilization Project Nationwide Inpatient Sample (NIS) from 2003 through 2014.
- Truven MarketScan data from 2009 through 2015. The MarketScan databases reflect the healthcare experience of employees and dependents covered by the health benefit programs of large employers. These claims data are collected from approximately 100 different insurance companies, Blue Cross Blue Shield plans, and third party administrators.
In addition, groups within IHPI have access to:
- Health Care Cost Institute data, via proposal. We are one of only six university-based academic partners with access to HCCI’s data from Aetna, Humana, Kaiser Permanente and UnitedHealthcare, including inpatient, outpatient, laboratory, prescription and hospital referral region data on more than 48 million people.
- De-identified data on U-M Health System patients, via the Research Data Warehouse’s Data Direct tool.
- Medicaid data from Michigan and beyond, under specific data use agreements. This includes data from more than 600,000 Michiganders participating in the Healthy Michigan Plan, the state’s expansion of Medicaid, which IHPI is evaluating under state contract.
- Veterans’ health data from the local and national VA, available to researchers in the VA Center for Clinical Management Research
- Statewide data from the nearly 20 Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan Collaborative Quality Initiatives run by IHPI members to study specific areas of care.
- Marketscan data from Truven Health Analytics, licensed to specific groups.
IHPI is also a full participant in U-M’s $100 million Data Science Initiative and the Michigan Institute for Data Science, and Mi-OSIRIS, a U-M-based, NSF-funded effort to provide additional research data storage options for multi-institution collaboration.
If you are an IHPI member, follow the links above to learn more about individual data sources, or contact the Data & Methods Hub about accessing our data resources and services.